Magabot is a low cost open hardware and software robot platform co-developed with IDMind, designed to give mobility to any laptop and to stimulate creative minds. Any robot with a computer is very powerfull, and because all laptops have a camera, a screen, speakers, microphone, batteries and usb interfaces, your robotics experience will be empowered with Magabot.
Here’s the robot:
Many applications are being developed right now, follow colors, wall follower, face detection, among many others.
We will provide interfaces for VisualStudio, .NET, c#, c++, openFrameWorks, Processing, Arduino, Flash, Unity3D, MAXMSP, PD and if you feel like you want to develop your own interface you will be welcome too, we give full credits on everything.
You will be able to download apps for the Magabot, to develop your own apps, and if you feel they deserve money, you will be able to sell them too.
The hardware is made with rigid PVC and a differential drive chassis with highly precise encoders on both motors at the commands of an Arduino and a customized shield. You’re completely invited to change and adapt it to your needs.
The basic setup integrates:
- PVC chassis with DC motors with encoders;
- Three Infrared-sensors on the bottom to detect stairs or lines;
- Two bumpers on the front to detect collisions;
- Three RGB leds if you are in the mood for some tuning;
- A battery sensor to know how if it is in the need for some juice;
- I2C bus on top to connect any I2C devices;
- A 7.2v battery and a charger.
Add-ons built at the moment:
- Pack of 5 Maxbotix sonar sensors with PVC supports to connect to the upper I2C BUS;
- Other add-ons are beeing developet at the moment.
We made the first test drive with one of the features - telepresence @ TEDxEdges and here’s the result: Gareth seeing Lisbon’s sunset all the way from Switzerland!
Please check out more news, info, source code, apps, hacks, support forum, and a place to buy Magabots at magabot.cc!